Civil Service Examination : Syllabus of the Examination
Bengali - Optional ( Main Examination- Literature)
Civil Services Aptitude Test CSAT (Earlier Civil Services
and Indian Languagues
(C) | Optional
PAPER – I
Answers must be written in Bengali
History of Language and Literature.
Topics from the History of Bangla language
- The chronological track from Proto Indo-European to Bangla (Family
tree with branches and approximate dates).
- Historical stages of Bangla (Old, Middle, New) and their linguistic
- Dialects of Bangla and their distinguishing characteristics.
- Elements of Bangla Vocabulary.
- Forms of Bangla Literary Prose-Sadhu and Chalit.
Processes of language change relevant for Bangla.
Apinihiti (Anaptyxis), Abhishruti (umlaut), Murdhanyibhavan (cerebralization),
Nasikyibhavan (Nasalization), Samibhavan (Assimilation), Sadrishya (Analogy),
Svaragama (Vowel insertion)-Adi Svaragama, Madhya Svaragama or Svarabhakti,
Antya Svaragama, Svarasangati (Vowel hormony), y-shruti and w-shruti.
- Problems of standardization and reform of alphabet and spelling,
and those of transliteration and Romanization.
- Phonology, Morphology and Syntax of Modern Bangla.
(Sounds of Modern Bangla, Conjuncts; word formations, compounds; basic
Topics from the History of Bangla Literature.
- Periodization of Bangla Literature : Old Bangla and Middle Bangla.
- Points of difference between modern and pre-modern Bangla Literature.
- Roots and reasons behind the emergence of modernity in Bangla Literature.
- Evolution of various Middle Bangla forms : Mangal kavyas, Vaishnava
lyrics, Adapted narratives (Ramayana, Mahabharata, Bhagavata) and religious
- Secular forms in middle Bangla literature.
- Narrative and lyric trends in the nineteenth century Bangla poetry.
- Development of prose.
- Bangla dramatic literature (nineteenth century, Tagore, Post-1944
- Tagore and post-Tagoreans.
- Fiction, major authors : (Bankimchandra, Tagore, Saratchandra, Bibhutibusan,
- Women and Bangla literature : creators and created.
Prescribed texts for close study. Answers must be written in Bengali.
- Vaishnava Padavali (Calcutta University)
Poems of Vidyapati, Chandidas, Jnanadas, Govindadas and Balaramdas.
- Chandimangal Kalketu episode by Mukunda (Sahitya Akademi).
- Chaitanya Charitamrita Madya Lila, by Krishnadas Kaviraj (Sahitya
- Meghnadbadh Kavya by Madhusudan Dutta.
- Kapalkundala by Bankimchandra Chattarjee.
- Samya and Bangadesher Krishak by Bankimchandra Chatterjee.
- Sonar Tari by Rabindranath Tagore.
- Chhinnapatravali by Rabindranath Tagore.
- Raktakarabi by Rabindranath Tagore.
- Nabajatak by Rabindranath Tagore.
- Grihadaha by Saratchandra Chatterjee.
- Prabandha Samgraha Vol. 1, by Pramatha Choudhuri.
- Aranyak by Bibhutibhusan Banerjee
- Short stories by Manik Bandyopadhyay : Atashi Mami, Pragaitihasik,
Holud-Pora, Sarisrip, Haraner Natjamai, Chhoto-Bokulpurer Jatri, Kustharogir
Bou, Jakey Ghush Ditey Hoy.
- Shrestha Kavita by Jibanananda Das.
- Jagori by Satinath Bhaduri.
- Ebam Indrajit by Badal Sircar.
Find it Useful ? Help Others by Sharing Online
Comments and Discussions