Founded in 1948, the formative years witnessed a strong foundation through introduction of undergraduate courses in Economics, Botany, Chemistry, History, Zoology and English Literature along with the infrastructural facilities, resulting in the construction of the Science Block, Hostel, Open Air Theatre and the Old Library Block. The landmark development of this decade was the auditorium, which to this day remains the pride of the college. The decade of 1968 – 1978 saw the growth of the college with the introduction of Commerce, Mathematics and Physics at the UG level and a number of PG courses and the construction of PG block.
Located in sylvan surroundings, the three block hostel facility is a home away from home for many students. The hostel facility of the college was started in 1948, by our beloved founder, Shri. V.L. Ethiraj. In those years, when women’s education itself was rare, our founder went the extra mile and thought about the security of the women who take to higher education. So he benevolently gave away his house that was situated within the campus premises to be converted to a hostel.
The Placement Cell of Ethiraj College has been assisting the students in paving a way to their career since 1998.The cell brought various personalities from various major organisations to the campus to talk to young talents on various employment opportunities in its early stages.From 2001,recruitment on the campus have been organised with top top notch companies vying with each other to tap the potential available in the college.