Government Training College, Hooghly was established in the year 1955 A.D. Our institution started its journey as Normal School or Hooghly Training School for under-graduate English medium teachers in 1856 A.D. Eminent academician and thinker of nineteenth century Sri Bhudev Mukhapadhyaya was appointed as the first Headmaster of this Hooghly Normal School. In the historic march, the Normal School System was abolished and upgraded to Training College for graduate secondary teachers. Since then Govt. training College, Hooghly is functioning as teachers' training college which is under auspices under Department of Higher Education, Science and Technology and Biotechnology, Government of West Bengal,and affliated to The University of Burdwan since 1960.