The Department of Chemistry is one of the oldest postgraduate Departments and its establishment dates back to 1961 when the status of Kurukshetra University was raised to a multi faculty institution.
Right from its inception, the Department has been fortunate enough to have got dedicated and hard working teachers at the helm of affairs to guide and shape its destiny. It has been the proud privilege of the University in general, and the Department in particular, when Prof. S. M. Mukharjee, FNA, an eminent chemist, accepted the offer to become the first head of the Department in 1961. Ever since, there has not been a moment to look back. The growth of the Department can be gauged from the fact that it has produced more than 200 Ph.D.’s and published over 1650 research papers in the National and International journals of repute.
About 550 new books have been added to the departmental library. Equipment worth about 1.25 Crores were purchased, Computers and Accessories during the past five years.Computers and Internet are being made use of. New equipments are being made use of for Practicals from time-to-time in Laboratories.