From its inception in 1922, the Department of Commerce, University of Calcutta has traversed a long way. The Department takes pride in its commendable performance vis-à-vis major developmental indicators such as student intake, number of teachers, published research work, updated curricula and courseware. Almost from the very beginning, the Department has been utilizing the services of a number of guest faculty members drawn from both academic institutions and industrial organizations of repute. At present, it has 22 whole time teachers and 28 guest faculty members. Most of the distinguished faculty members have doctoral degrees and are members of various professional institutions.