Chakdaha College, established on November 21, 1972 in a sylvan atmosphere of suburban Bengal was one of the earliest Colleges, affiliated to University of Kalyani. The College must acknowledge the contribution of the-then deputy-speaker of West Bengal, Sri Haridas Mitra in its making and development with gratitude. At present the College runs fourteen Honours Courses together with a variety of subjects, offered in the General courses.
Library: The college library presently has more than 20,000 books. These include text books and rare costly reference books and up-dated information books. The college subscribes to journals, news papers and periodicals.
Laboratories: College provides well-equipped laboratories for the different lab-based departments : Chemistry, Physics, Geography, Zoology, Mathematics, Botany, Statistics. Laboratory rooms are large enough for air circulation, proper illumination and students’ free movement. For all the subjects’ different laboratory rooms are used for different kinds of experiments. Some laboratories have computer facilities too. Besides routine classes, special practical classes are arranged for final practices, especially before the final university examinations. Laboratory attendants are always here to look after the needs of the students.
Seminar Hall: The college has a large seminar hall with a 30+ seating capacity and equipped with all modern amenities. The seminar hall facilitates the students & teachers to hold seminars and other group activities without disruption of normal classes.
Common Room: There are separate common rooms for male and female students for their use during leisure periods.
Catering Service: The college runs one newly constructed well located and airy canteen for the benefit of students.
Computer Centre: the College has a computer centre in collaboration with recognized computer organization affiliated under DOEACC. Any college student may join either certificate or diploma courses at minimum cost. Classes are held there beyond college hours and on holidays. The college has its own computer room with about 30 computers.
Fourteen students (SC/ST Boys) can be accommodated in the college hostel provided with all facilities and ladies hostel under construction.
1. Teachers’ Council provides stipends t the poor and meritorious students.
2. The Govt. of India also awards a few scholarships to students belonging to SC, ST and OBC categories.
3. Nearly 10% of the students are given financial assistance from the students’ Aid Fund yearly. The selection is made on the basis of merit, financial status and class attendance.
4. Students’ union also helps students in financial distress.
5. For the eleventh plan period (2007-12) 20 SC/ST students each year will get a monthly stipend of Rs.500.00 only on the basis of merit and attendance in classes. Eligible students must submit caste certificate and also family income certificate.