Pope’s college, located at Sawyerpuram is one of the rural colleges in Thoothukudi District of Tamilnadu state. It is a resurgence of an institution that was founded in the past in 1880 as a seminary, by Dr. G .U. Pope, the revered missionary from England and run for only three years in Sawyerpuram. The college was later incorporated with Madras Christian College, Chennai for certain reasons. The college was rejuvenated as a regular institution in 1962 in pragmatic memories of Pope in the red soil of Sawyerpuram, with the help of alumni association (POBA) of Pope Memorial High School and a team of dedicated pioneer staff members, under the intelligent guidance of Prof. D.S. George Muller, the founder principal. The Vision and Mission of the college stand alongside its holistic transformation goals for students from especially poor and rural backgrounds. The college has completed fifty two years of its valid services to the community of such students of this rural area.
Library :The Library was earlier housed in the Main block from 1962 to 2011. When the UGC funded new library building with a carpet area of 3000 sq.ft. was opened on 10th May 2011, the Library was shifted to function in the new building. The New Library building has been aptly named as Prof. D.S. George Muller library in remembrance of his dedicated service to the student community of Pope’s College, Sawyerpuram.
Pope’s college has well-furnished and separate hostels for men and women students within the campus frontier.