Government College Kota was established on 25th March 1909 in the form of Herbert High School. Under the dynamic leadership and initiative of His Highness Ummed Singh Ji II, the Herbert School building had been aesthetically architectured as one of the most magnificent buildings of Hadoti region. The then British political agent to kota Colonel Charles Herbert laid the foundation stone of the school.
The building has a central clock tower with four faces and the clock is still ticking stoically even after more than half a century. The magnificent building was completed in the year 1920 though teaching commenced from 1912 in the headmastership of Lala Daya Krishna.
In 1936, Herbert School was upgraded to Inter College and in 1947 the college was fully promoted into a degree college under the affiliation of Agra University. Shortly in 1947 P.G. classes commenced in Arts (P.G. classes in Science started in 1955) and got affiliation from Rajputana University which after independence came to be known as Rajasthan University. In 1955 the college was renamed as Government College, Kota.