Central Institute of Plastics Engineering & Technology (CIPET) was established in 1968 by Government of India with the assistance of United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) at Chennai. The main objective of setting up of the institute was to develop manpower in different disciplines of Plastics Engineering & Technology as no similar institute was in existence in the country. International Labour Organization (ILO) served as the executing agency. During the initial project period between 1968 and 1973, the institute achieved the targets envisaged and was rated as one of the most successful UNDP projects implemented worldwide. Today CIPET is a premier national institution under the aegis of the Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers, Govt. of India fully devoted to Skill Development, Technology Support Services, Academic and Research (STAR). CIPET operates from various locations spread across the country catering to the needs of Polymer and allied industries.CIPET stands tall not only as a premier institute in the country but also emerged as a global institution renowned for its research & development in the niche areas of Polymer Science & Technology and high quality Education & Skill development in the field of plastics. CIPET has been accredited with ISO 9001:2008 QMS, ISO/IEC - 17025, ISO/IEC - 17020 certification on Design, Development and Conduct of specialized training courses in Plastics Engineering & Technology and rendering technical /consultancy services in design, tooling, plastics processing & testing for the benefit of plastics & allied industry. Besides, STAR activities, CIPET also plays pivotal role in generating employment opportunities especially for unemployed and underemployed youth, promoting entrepreneurs though various skill development training programs.
Auditorium: CIPET has air conditioned auditorium with a seating capacity of 250. The auditorium has all the facilities. Open auditorium with a seating capacity of 1500 is also available in the campus.
Library: All CIPET centres are equipped with a well maintained library housed with books related to polymer science and technology, including the latest trends on Plastics. With over 50,000 books and journals relevant to the curriculum of the courses offered at CIPET, CIPET boasts of having a finest source of information that enable the students to keep abreast with the latest development in their field of study. The libraries are automated with library management software and have been integrated with RFID to ensure quick transactions. Besides having a physical library at all the centres, CIPET has also established digital libraries at all the centres. To keep abreast with the latest development CIPET provides E-books from leading scientific publishers on various subjects like Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Polymer Science, Nano-technology, CAD/CAM and Manufacturing Technology. The students can access the E-books through intranet. Besides, the students can also have access to the NPTPL lectures pre-loaded in the servers at the digital libraries.
Hostel Facilities Available.
Placement Service Available: CIPET courses are highly recognised by Polymer industry fraternity across the country and known for its quality. The courses are offered with a perfect blend of theory and hands on practical sessions with exposure on state-of-art equipments and machineries. Our statistics shows that as high as 80% of the students are absorbed in various reputed plastics and allied industries and out of the remaining 20%, 5% turn into entrepreneurs and balance 15% pursue higher studies.