The Department of Human Geography was started in October 1959, at the initiative of eminent economist Professor V.K.R.V. Rao, the then Vice-Chancellor of the University. Professor George Kuriyan, a renowned geographer, was the first Professor and founder of the Department. In 1966, Professor V.L.S. Prakasa Rao succeeded him and remained until 1973. During this period, the department acquired a distinctive identity in India and abroad. In 1976, the department was renamed as the Department of Geography owing to the widening of scope of teaching and research activity in not only human, but also physical aspects of Geography.
The department has state-of-art GIS laboratory, geomorphology - cum - remote sensing laboratory that provide facilities for photogrammetry, aerial photo interpretation, digital image processing and soil analysis. Other equipments include computerized planimeter. The GIS laboratory is fully equipped with 20 computers, server, scanners, plotter, printers, latest GIS, Remote Sensing and statistical software like ArcGIS 10.2, ILWIS, IDRISI Andes, MapInfo 9.0, ERDAS 2014, WMS 8, SPSS. Teachers, research scholars and post-graduate students have access to these facilities for their research and miscellaneous use. Besides this, they also have access to the Delhi University Computer Centre (located near Central Science Library). There is a Map Library consisting of Survey of India topographic sheets on different scales covering different areas of the country. In addition, the department has modern classrooms equipped with smart boards, latest audio-visual aids and provide a comfortable ambience for research and teaching.