Fakir Mohan Autonomous College, Balasore is a leading institution of higher education in Odisha. It is a full-fledged Graduate and growing Post-Graduate College affiliated to F. M. University, Balasore. The College, initially called Baleswar College, came into existence on 6th July 1944 when the Government of Odisha established a Second Grade Arts College with 96 seats in the premises of the then Zilla School of Balasore. The Principal of the College became the ex-officio Inspector of the School. Both the institutions had one Governing Body and one administrative head.
Library: The origin of the Central library of Fakir Mohan Autonomous College dates back to the year 1944. It was opened in the premises of Balasore Zilla School with only 433 text books in Arts subjects under the control of the Head Master, Balasore Zilla School.
In 1949, the library was named Balasore College Library. It had only 2012 volumes in
different subjects.In 1961, when the Zilla School was shifted to its own building on the Jail Road, the library functioned in the present Room No.12 under the administrative control of the Principal, Fakir Mohan College Balasore. In the year 1989 the library was shifted to the newly constructed double storey building. In the year 1999-2000 when Autonomy was conferred on Fakir Mohan College, Balasore by the U.G.C, the Higher Secondary Section of the Library, re-named as Jr. College Library, transferred to F. M. Evening College. Since then Fakir Mohan College Library is functioning as the Central Library as per UGC Norms.