Government Chhattisgarh Autonomous P.G. College , Raipur was established in 1938 as a private and undergraduate college in urban area with the initiative of Late Shri J.Yoganandam with a mission to promote higher education in this area. College aims for academic excellence through hard work and sincerity. College started with ten students in year 1938 and today has a strength of 1929 students. College was also the center of independence movement in year 1942. It is one of the oldest higher educational institutions in the erstwhile state of Madhya Pradesh and now in the newly formed state of Chhattisgarh, catering to the needs of aspirants. Postgraduate courses were introduced from the year 1950.The college became a Government college in year 1982 and got autonomous state in the year 1996. At present it is affiliated to Pt. Ravi Shankar Shukla University , Raipur. The UGC accorded its recognition under 2(f) and 12(B)in 1987. It is a Govt. funded college. College is offering postgraduate courses in faculty of arts, commerce, science, journalism and law.
Library : The Chhattisgarh College established in 1972, and the library is one of the oldest libraries Chhattisgarh. Library resources include a growing collection of 37000+ books; current subscriptions to 70+ periodicals and most leading newspapers and audio-visual resources to support every course offered by the college. The library's collection is growing in all subjects every year. There is back volume section for research oriented study. The Chhattisgarh Memorial Lecture Series are available in hard copies as well as in digital (.pdf ) form.