As an ardent patron of Tamil Music, Dr. Rajah Sir Annamalai Chettiar was very keen to develop the University as a seat of Tamil Music. Accordingly, the music college was started in 1929, with Sangeetha Kalanidhi T.S. Sabesaiyer as the first principal of the college.When the Annamalai University was inaugurated in 1930, the music college was transferred to the university, and it was constituted into a separated department that included the Faculty of Oriental Studies, Tamil, and Sanskrit.In 1937 Sangeetha kalanithi Tiger K. Varadhachariyar become the principal of the college. In 1943 a post of professor of Music was created and sangeetha Kalanithi K. Ponnaiah Pillai was the first Professor of Music, followed by Thirupampuram Swaminatha Pillai and later by Chitoor Subramaniya Pillai.
In 1953, a separate Faculty of Fine Arts was started in which a Department Painting was included. This Faculty also provided for the inclusion of the Fine Arts like sculpture, Painting, Architecture, Drawing & Drama.
Our students are employed in schools and colleges all over India and abroad. Exponents in the field of music and dance are invited to perform and conduct workshops in the department thus widening the knowledge of the students. More than 20% of foreign students are studying in various programmes.