The Faculty of Law/ Department of Law, University of Calcutta is situated at 51/1, Hazra Road, Kolkata-700019. The Faculty/Department has six affiliated Law Colleges imparting 5 Years B. A. LL. B. Course. The Department including two other affiliated Law Colleges (Jogesh Chandra Chaudhury Law College and South Calcutta Law College) also imparts B. A. LL. B (Honours) Course. Besides, the Department imparts 2 Years LL. M. Course as well as Ph. D. Programme. The Department also provides Post-Doctoral research (LL.D.) facilities in appropriate cases. The Department of Law, University of Calcutta is in present position since 1983. Prior to 1983, the Department of Law was known as the University College of Law which was established in January 1909.The first step towards the establishment of what Asutosh Mookerjee described in his Convocation Address of 1914 as “the new University of Calcutta”, was taken when under his leadership the Senate of the University decided to establish the University College of Law. Law was Asutosh’s first love. The example of Dwarkanath Mitra senior, who left an imperishable name as Judge of the High Court of Calcutta, inspired Asutosh to the same aspiration. After the passing of the Universities Act of 1904, Asutosh Mookerjee, it is said, was persuaded by Curzon to believe that the Vice-Chancellorship of Calcutta University would come to him after Pedler, if he accepted a seat on the Bench of the High Court at Calcutta. In March, 1904, Asutosh Mookerjee was appointed a Judge of the High Court at Calcutta. He retained his seat on it for twenty years and retired on January 2, 1924. For some time he acted as the Chief Justice of that Court.