Queen Mary’s College has been in the forefront of the education of women ever since July 1914, when the Government of Madras instituted the Madras Women’s College. The initial intake of 33 students was housed in a modest building called ‘Capper House’. However, by 1915, the college premises were expanded through the government’s annexure of the area surrounding Capper House. At this stage it offered only Intermediate courses. In 1916 under graduate courses were offered in History and Economics. Eventually Intermediate courses in subjects like Geography, Indian Music, Physics, Chemistry and Home Science were introduced.
n order to make it more conducive for young women outside Chennai, to secure the benefits of higher education, the college hostel was started in 1951, As the student strength increased, the demand for hostel accommodation also increased. To meet this need, a new building which accommodates 250 students was constructed for the hostel in 1974.
It has, through its Placement Cell, which was established in 2007, taken up the challenge of creating that interface between the two worlds of education and employment. s the Placement Cell strives to be a storehouse of information for the students, it also conveys through its student development programmes, this conviction - The dynamics between ‘Attitude’ and ‘Aptitude’ determines the ‘Altitude’ to which the student soars.