The Institution was established in 1940 as Department of Architecture in the erstwhile Nizam college of Fine Arts and Architecture and become the Govt. College of Fine Arts and Architecture in 1956 following the formation of the state of Andhra Pradesh. Subsequent to the formation of JNTU (Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University) in 1972, the college was merged into it. The college of Fine Arts and Architecture become one of the four constituent colleges of the University. In 1989, the college was bifurcated to form the School of Planning and Architecture and is since then a constituent Institution of the School of Excellence envisaged by Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University.
Library :SPA has a well-managed library having a rich collection in the field of Architecture and Planning. The Library has a collection of 10,000 volumes comprising books, back volumes of journals, theses, maps and subscribes to 30 journals on architecture, planning and allied areas. It has about 100 CD-ROMS and collection of videotapes.