Government Brennen College, a premier institution in the higher education sector of North Kerala owes its existence to a Master attendant of the Telichery Port, Mr. Edward Brennen who left an endwment of Rs 8,900/- for the opening of a free school "to give boys of all castes, creeds and color a sound English education". Thus the free school was opened on Ist September 1862. In 1980 the institution was upgraded and FA class started with affiliation to Madras University. In 1919 the collge was taken over by the Government and in 1947, the college was accorded the status of a First Grade Instittution, commencing BA classes in Mathematics and Economics.
College was shifted to the new building at Dharmadam in 1958. Government Brennen College celebrated centenary in 1990. The Vice President of India, His Excellency Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma inaugurated the centenary celebrations. Government Brennen College is recognized as a Center of Excellence by the Government of Kerala. The University Grants Commission had included the college in 12B and 2F Category. In 2011 January, this institution with its entire legacy and quality drive was reaccredited by National Assessment and Accreditation Council with A Grade.
A seperate hostels for Boys and Girls. Boys hostel has a capacity to accomodate 80 students and Girls hostel has an intake capcity of 50 students. An additional hostel for girls with an intake capacity of 50 students is under construction with the financial support from UGC and DCE.