In the dawn of the independence there was no institution of the higher learning in the coal belt of Jharia-Dhanbad. The Students of this educationally backward area were in dire need of a college in those days. This was timely recognized by Raja Kali Prasad Singh then the Raja of Jharia. He constituted a trust for establishing the college in1949 and started Raja Shiv Prasad College in the memory of his father. In 1951 the college secured temporary affiliation with Patna University. Bihar University granted permanent affiliation to the college in 1952. With the establishment of Ranchi University in 1960 and Vinoba Bhave University (VBU) in 1992, the College subsequently formed the part of these Universities. The College was registered under Section 2(f) of UGC Act on 31-10-87. The College is the oldest one in Dhanbad and bordering districts and the second oldest constituent unit of VBU,Hazaribag. It became the First NAAC Accredited constituent unit of the University in 2006.
Girls Common Room, Teacher’s Common Room, Seminar Room, Indoor Stadium, Playground, Physics Lab, Chemistry Lab, Zoology Lab, Botany Lab, Computer Lab, Library