The college started functioning with a student strength of 160 in two batches of pre-degree class of 80 each in 1975. The institution was raised to the status of a first grade college in the academic year 1978-79 with the starting of BCom degree course. In 1979-80, BA Economics was started. MA Economics was started in1993 – 94. BSc Polymer Chemistry was started in 1995. As a policy matter of the govt pre degree course was taken off from the college. The college is an approved Skill Development Centre of ASAP initiated by the Government of Kerala. From July 2004 college conducts short duration courses through centre for adult continuing education & extension centre ( CACEE). The centre is currently offering certificate courses in Library science and information technology, Diploma in Computer Applications & and Computerised accounting.
The College has been accredited by NAAC with B grade during the academic year 2014-15
1. National Scholarships.
2. National Scholarships to children and School Teachers.
3. Scholarships for the handicapped with prize value of Rs 1750 per year
4. Kerala State Government Scholarships-
5. University merits scholarships to P.G.students with prize value of Rs. 6000.
6. Government of India Hindi Scholarships.
7. India Government Scholarships to Scheduled Castes,
Scheduled Tribes and Other Backward Classes.
8. National Loan Scholarships.
9. National Science Talent Search Scholarships.
10. Hudgson Memorial Scholarships.
11. Muslim / Nadar Girl Student’s Scholarships.
12. Sport’s Scholarships.
13. Sri John Mathai Endowment Scholarships.
14. Cultural Scholarships.
15. Kerala state suvarna jubilee merit scholarship with prize value of Rs.10 000.
16. Indira Gandhi P.G scholarship for single child with prize value of Rs. 20 000.
17. Muslim Girl’s scholarship with prize value of Rs. 3000.
18. University merit scholarships for degree students with prize value of Rs. 2500.
19. Higher education scholarships with prize value of Rs. 15000.
20. Central sector scholarships with prize value of Rs. 10 000.
21. Post metric scholarships with prize value of Rs. 3000.
The Career Guidance and the Placement Cell of the college organize training programme, workshops and seminars to improve the employability and life skills of the students. The seminars, lectures and workshops conducted by the departments are in tune with the demands of the employment market and the challenges in acquiring life skills.The skill development programme offered by ASAP also facilitates in improving the employablity and life skills of students. The recently approved Community College Scheme of UGC will offer two career-oriented courses in Automobile Engineering and Hospitality Mangement with tie-ups with Industrial Partners.