Maharaja's germinated as an elementary English school in 1845 and it was in 1875 that the institution became a regular college. From its inception to 1925, it was called The Ernakulam College and in 1925, on the completion of fifty fruitful years, it was rechristened Maharaja's College. Right from its beginning the College has constantly scaled heights in academic and co-curricular activities. The college offers 20 undergraduate and 20 postgraduate programmes besides a few career-oriented add-on courses with a student strength of around 2600. Doctoral research facilities are offered by 12 departments.
The College building with its meandering corridors and wide doors and specially designed windows was declared as a heritage structure by the Government of Kerala in 2007. The College library with a vast collection of rare books is in the process of automation. Apart from department libraries, teachers, research scholars and students are provided with INFLIB NET facility.