Chandernagore College had a long and glorious history before it arrived at its present avatar as a college run by the Government of West Bengal. It was originally established as St. Mary’s Institution by the French Catholic Missionary, Rev. Magloire Barthet in 1862. Chandernagore College became affiliated to the University of Burdwan in 1960. The Golden Jubilee of the college was celebrated in February 1982. In 2002, the college was accorded the status of a constituent college under the University of Burdwan.
Library : The College Library started in the year 1931 with 500 Books. Number of Books and amount of annual Library Grants have been increasing gradually. At present the library has 1,09504 volumes purchased from the grant received from State Govt. and UGC. Apart from this, 766 bound volumes of old journals gifted by Mr. Harihar Seth, the immense archival value of which is worth mentioning.
Gymnasium : Since a healthy body is essential for a healthy mind, students use the gymnasium for exercise and workout. Despite a rigorous schedule of classes, they often use their free time to improve their fitness at the gym and also to improve their physique, especially before sports competitions.
Canteen: The college canteen plays a crucial role in this regard and within its limited means strives to cater to the daily requirements of both students and staff members.
The Girls’ Hostel of the college is a key infrastructural asset that offers female students from remote localities to study in the college without worrying about arduous daily journeys or the precariousness associated with other kinds of student accommodations that can be both expensive and unsafe.