The birth of M.D.K.G.College can be traced to a Governing Body meeting of D.H.S.K.College, held on 29th August 1960. In the meeting, the members of the Governing Body which was chaired by Hanuman Bux Kanoi stressed on the establishment of a Women’s College in Dibrugarh. The Chairman assured that he would bear the cost of the building’s construction if the college would be named after his wife, Manohari Devi Kanoi. Thereafter, a Sponsoring Committee was formed and the process for establishing the college began.. The college started functioning on 5th July 1963 under the principalship of Dr. Jogiraj Basu, noted Oriental scholar and classes were held in the morning in DHSK college premises. The college offering Arts stream shifted to its present campus in 1965, where classes were held in a DFO Bungalow. Starting with the total strength of 215 the college has now an enrolment of approximately 1800 students. It is affiliated to Dibrugarh University and its Higher Secondary Course is recognised by Assam Higher Secondary Education Council, AHSEC. It is an UGC recognized college under section 2(f) and 12(B).