Thiagarajar Polytechnic College is one of the premier technical institutions in South India, started in 1958 by the Philanthropist Late Thiru.Karumuthu Thiagarajan and developed by the Former Chairman Late Thiru.M.S.Chockalingam.
In recognition of the excellent services for the past 54 years to the society and other infrastructural facilities such as buildings, the state-of-the-art laboratories, computing facilities, sports/games, hostels etc., the institution has been conferred with 'The Best Polytechnic College Award' by the Government of Tamilnadu.
Separate hostel facilities are available for both boys and girls.
The placement section has been organizing several useful activities for the benefit of the students. The details of the activities are as follows: letters have been sent to various industries covering the entire country to invite them to conduct campus/factory interviews. An Entrepreneurship Development Programme is organized for the benefit of the final year students of all branches to promote self-employment. Well-experienced resource persons of various areas of EDP are invited to conduct the Programme. Bio-Data of the all successful candidates are compiled and recorded. A copy of the same is forwarded to the Board of Apprenticeship training (Southern Region), Chennai. The campus interviews are held in the college and the overall percentage of the placement is 80%.