R. D. National College caters to the educational needs of varied sections of the society, especially the minorities and the under privileged. One of the oldest colleges affiliated to the University of Mumbai and the first of the twenty four Institutions established and managed by the Hyderabad (Sind) National Collegiate Board (HSNCB), National College was established in Independent India in 1949 under the leadership of Late Principal M. Kundnani and Late Barrister H. G. Advani - two visionaries who had migrated from Sind, Pakistan to Mumbai after Independence. The college, however, traces its origin to D. G. National College, which was established in Hyderabad (Sind) in 1922 with the support and guidance of Dr. Annie Besant and Rishi Dayaram Gidumal.
The infrastructural facilities of the college include spacious laboratories and Multimedia classrooms for academic activities, a multipurpose, air conditioned gymkhana and a floodlit multi Sports-Basketball / Throw ball / Volleyball Court for sports activities as well as a well equipped air conditioned Auditorium and Conference Halls for co-curricular and extracurricular activities. A botanical garden with more than 100 species of plants is a proud possession of the college. The well equipped and spacious library with more than 80,000 volumes of books, journals and numerous periodicals and newspapers and internet facility, provides excellent opportunities for academic exploration and research to the students.