Establishment of a college were taken heartily and a proposed College Governing Body was formed under the Presidentship of Prof. Sen and Sri Debidas Biswas, a visionary local, was the Secretary of the Proposed Governing Body. After necessary inspection the Calcutta University approved the proposed Seva Bharati Mahavidyalaya on the 17th July, 1964 and permitted to admit, some Arts subjects at UG level and the Mahavidyalaya started its voyage with only 65 students in 1964-65. The avowed purpose was to cater to the need of higher education of the students of SC, ST-dominated, underdeveloped and socially underprivileged backward rural area of Jhargram Sub-Division of erstwhile Midnapore district. Empowering the poor and academically backward people of Kapgari and its adjoining areas was the sole aim and objective of founding the Seva Bharati Mahavidyalaya.
Library: The Central Library of Seva Bharati Mahavidyalaya is a rich source of knowledge and information. It is one of the central facilities availed by all the types of members of this Mahavidyalaya. It is situated in the first floor of Vivekananda Shardha Satabarshiki Bhaban having a plinth area near about 1500 sq. ft. The library has a collection of more than 24000 volumes which includes Text Books, Reference Books & Journals etc. The books and journals collected in the library has been supporting the teaching, research, development and other professional activities of all the departments of the Mahavidyalaya.