St.Teresa's College, a pioneering institution in the field of Higher Education in India, was established on 15th June in the year 1925, as the first Women's College of the erstwhile Cochin State and the second in the whole of Kerala by the Congregation of the Carmelite Sisters of St.Teresa. It started functioning in one of the large halls of St.Teresa's High School with Sr.Beatrice as its first Principal and Mother Veronica as the first Manager and a student strength of just 41. While high academic standards were maintained in the college from the very start, students were also taught the value and dignity of labour, good social relationship and above all, lasting spiritual values through regular moral and religious instruction classes. In the beginning, the College was a second grade Arts College affiliated to the Madras University and offered the Intermediate Course with Ancient History, Modern History and Logic under Part Ill. The construction of a separate building for the College was completed in 1926 and the classes were shifted from the High School to this new building the same year. The first batch of students appeared for the University examination in 1927 and came out with excellent results. Fully satisfied by the high standards maintained by St.Teresa's College, the Madras University was pleased to upgrade the College to the status of a First Grade College in 1927.