The "Escola Medico Cirurgica da Goa" and was established in 1842 during the Portuguese rule and renamed as Goa Medical College in 1963. It is one of the oldest Medical College in Asia. The college is under the Goa University since 1986 before which it was under the Bombay University. Goa Medical College Hospital which now has its headquarters in Bambolim has a long tradition of providing quality services to all sections of the society. The Institute of Psychiatry and Human Behaviour (Bambolim) the TB and Chest Disease Hospital (St. Inez), The Rural Health and Training Centre (Mandur) and the Urban Health Centre (St. Cruz) form part of the Establishment.