Jesus and Mary College, a constituent college of the University of Delhi, was founded by the Congregation of Jesus and Mary in 1968. This religious congregation was founded by Saint Caudine Thevenet in Lyons (France) in 1818. Six Sisters of the Order came to India in 1842 and the first Institution started by them was St. Patrick’s school in Agra. In 1904 the first women’s college, St. Bede’s was established in Shimla Himachal Pradesh. Mother Del Rosaria, Superior General of the Congregation of Religious of Jesus and Mary, who had visited India in 1955, was alert of the needs of youth. She took the first step to open new paths to Higher Education for girls of all social strata. It seemed ideal to open a college for girls in Delhi in keeping with this goal. Fr. Loesch S.J. helped the Provincial, Sr. Felix Pritchard, in searching for a place. Sister was attracted to a15 acre plot in Chanakyapuri , on the boundary of Diplomatic Enclave. In 1962, official permission was granted to open a new college for women with the right to a grant from UGC. Rev. Mother Del Rosaria the Superior General, was present at the blessing of the foundation stone on 7th January, 1967. Archbishop Joseph Fernandes of Delhi officiated at the Blessing.
The College ensures the physical, mental and intellectual health of its students. To take students beyond classroom teaching, the various departments of the college organize seminars and talks by eminent speakers on academic issues. There are facilities for indoor and outdoor games, including a well equipped gymnasium. The computerized College library has internet facilities, and a computer room for the staff. The College has wifi internet connections for the use of the staff and students.
There is a full fledged Placement Cell headed by a Placement Coordinator who coordinates wtih prospective employers, in arranging campus interviews for placement of students