The Government Arts College, which was once a part of H.H. The Maharajas College, Thiruvananthapuram, was separated from the parent institution in 1924 to house the Arts Departments. It was renamed H.H. The Maharajas College of Arts. Later, in 1937, the institution was amalgamated with the University College to conduct the Intermediate Course, thus giving it the name University Intermediate College. When this course was stopped, Pre-Professional courses were started in the college, which was upgraded to a first grade college in 1971. The noted alumni include former President of India Dr. K .R. Narayanan, Dr. P C Alexander, former Governor, noted poet Shri. Changampuzha Krishna Pillai, Prof. N.Krishna Pillai, and Dr.G. Madhavan Nair, Chairnman, ISRO. Now, the college is a leading institution that bags several ranks in the University examinations.