The Govt. Institute of Engineering, sonipat has been functioning under different names and styles since 1941. It was started by the Defence Department to improving the quality of Surgical Instruments, which were supplied to the Defence Department. In the post war phase, the function of this organization changed to bring about development in the field of manufacture of Surgical Instruments and Appliances. With the partition of India, the function were further enhanced to that of a training Institution with a view to feed the industry with specialized personnel at supervisory and artisan level.
The Polytechnic is situated at the outskirts of sonipat city. It is 2 KM from sonipat Railway Station & Bus Stand, 8KM from N.H.1 and 45 KM from National Capital
A men’s hostel constructed under the World Bank assisted projects scheme is located in the campus. It accommodates 110 students. Staff quarters are also provided to the staff in the campus.
The government polytechnic sonipat has a full-fledged placement office to look after the placement activities.The Training and Placement Cell provides the official support base for placement cell was established with a view to encourage the students to develop their skills for achieving success in various fields. The Training & Placement Cell is working under the able guidance of Er. Anil Sehrawat, the Training and Placement Officer of the college and fulfilling the Mission & Vision of the Institution. The Training and Placement Cell is assisted by the association of all the Engg. and Non-Engg. Departments.