The college was established in the central jail premises at Berhampore on 19th July 1927 as Government Silk Weaving and Dyeing Institute to impart training to local artisans engaged in silk production and silk weaving in Murshidabad district under the administrative control of Directorate of industries, Government of West Bengal.The institute was shifted to its present location at 4 Barrack Square (East) during 1932-33. The college was upgraded in 1940 with a new name Bengal Technological Institute with the introduction of 3 years diploma course (licentiate) in Textile Technology and a 2 year artisan course. Considering the general nature of the course the college was renamed as Berhampore Textile Institute in 1950.In 2004, Textile Technology department of the institute was accredited by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA).
The college library offers a wide range of science and technological books and journals. The students can borrow two books at a time for two weeks. Besides they are also entitled to get one book from the book bank.
The college offers four-storied hostel facility with an intake of 100 students with food and lodging for the boys only. The hostel is having a playground, gymnasium, library and indoor games facilities