Patna Women’s College was founded in 1940 by Bishop B.J. Sullivan S.J., Bishop of Patna and Mother M. Josephine A.C. Superior General of the Apostolic Carmel. It was the first institution of higher learning opened to cater to the educational needs of women in Bihar. Bishop Sullivan, the founder, named it Patna Women’s College and presented it as a gift to the Women of Bihar, thereby placing at their disposal an opportunity for higher education. It was Bishop Sullivan’s firm belief that the upliftment of Bihar lay in liberating its womenfolk by providing them with opportunities for higher education, in other words, by empowering them. In the early years the College and the hostel were housed in the Bishop’s own resid-ence at Bankipur, which he vacated for this great work.