South Calcutta Girls’ College takes pride in being the first college for women in south Kolkata. It was established in 1932 by eminent scholars and educationists like Peary Mohan Chatterjee, after whom the College library is named.
South Calcutta Girls’ College was initially a sister organization of the Beltala Girls’ School and functioned as a morning college in the school premises till mid-July, 1946. The College then shifted to 72 , Sarat Bose Road, Kolkata 700025, where it stands now. In the year 2007, the college reached a new era of completing sevent five years.