Maharaja’s Technological Institute is the oldest Polytechnic in Kerala State. Located in the heart of Thrissur, the polytechnic evolved from a war technicians training centre and this was established by the Govt. of India during World War II. In 1946, this training centre was named as Maharaja’s Technological Institute and diploma courses in Civil, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering were started in 1947-48. Later on in 1991-92 and 1998-99 Electronics Engineering and Computer Engineering diploma courses also began in this institution. When the Directorate of Technical Education was formed under Govt. of Kerala, the Institution came under the administrative control of the Directorate.
Maharaja’s Technological Institute is a premier technical education center in Kerala targeting the rural people. Even though, the institution is located in the heart of Thrissur town, it is surrounded by a number of villages. This institution serves as Nodal Polytechnic for the Thrissur District in which there are seven other polytechnics. The college has hostel facilities for men which attracts students from distant rural locations.
The polytechnic is fully equipped with all the latest Audio Visual educational aids. Mechanical workshop is equipped with lathes, milling machines, plainers, shapers, slotters and CNCs. We will provide basic and advanced training in each trade
The college owned men's hostel provide a nourishing environment which attracts students from distant rural locations.