The Institute Of Physics, Bhubaneswar is an autonomous research institution funded jointly by the Department Of Atomic Energy (DAE) and the Government of Odisha. The Institute was officially established in 1972 by the Government of Orissa, and registered in 1972 as a registered society under societies Registration Act 1860. The Institute started functioning under the directorship of Prof. T. Pradhan on September 4, 1974 in two rented rooms of the Utkal University Guest House. After a few months, the Institute moved to a rented house in Sahid Nagar, Bhubaneswar, where its academic activities got started in January 1975 with two faculty besides the then Director, Prof. T. Pradhan. From 1974 to 1981, the Institute functioned in rented buildings and moved to its present campus in 1981. On March 25,1985, the Institute was taken up by the Department of Atomic Energy.
Ion Beam Laboratory: Beam Time Request (BTR)
Library: The Library is built on an area of 22,000 sq. ft. and is a centrally airconditioned building. It is furnished with modern furnitures. It has 13 research cubicles in the first floor of the library for the users. The ground floor houses the Book Section, Current Journals and Circulation counter. The first floor houses the Back Volumes of Journals, Conference and Lecture Hall.
Computer center: Computer center in Institute of Physics, Bhubaneswar is responsible of managing IT infrastructure in various departments/sections of the Institute. The centers activity ranges from Server administration, hosting various services to laptop/desktop management of users. Center extends its supports in a hybrid environment constitutes of various operating system like unix-based (Cent OS, RedHat, Fedora, Ubuntu), MS Windows and MAC OS. Currently, center hosts its own mailing system/service, NIS, NFS, centralized data storage.
Medical Centre: Institute dispensary is open All working day