The Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute was started as a private Medical college in the year 1955 by Mysore Education Society. The Founders of this Society were Dr. R. Shivaram, Dr. Mekhri, Dr. B.K. Narayana Rao and Dr. B.V. Ramaswamy. In the year 1957 it was handed over to the then Government of Mysore and was affiliated to Mysore University and then on to the Bangalore University. In the year 1996 it got affiliated to the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences.
Library:The main objective of the library is to provide documents, information and environment that can be helpful in imparting education, promoting research and development thereby leading to improved patient care.
The computer center was fully established last year. As per the Government order a Gazetted Officer is nominated as Information Officer. Four old computers are upgraded to Pentium III, and one computer is purchased under APICON fund. The center has its own Internet connection and E-Mail facilities catering to the needs of the faculty members and students.
Central Research Laboratory: The Human Genetics Laboratory, an asset to BMCRI and a part of Central Research Laboratory is one of its kind at a government setup and is well equipped with most advanced instruments.
Hostel Facilities for boys and girls