The College of Veterinary Science was established in year 1948 at Nagaon as the erstwhile Assam Veterinary College. The Assam Veterinary College offered 3-year diploma course leading to Graduate in Veterinary Science (G.V.Sc). The number of students admitted in the first batch was 33. Soon after independence, with just 33 students admitted in the first batch of the three years Diploma course (G.V.Sc), the college poised for a long march to grow as a premier institute. The increased realization of the importance of the veterinary profession coupled with the man power need to handle the veterinary and animal husbandry activities of the region was the driving force in the growth and development of this institution that was to follow in the coming decades. Since then the institute has grown leaps and bound in the past.