The College of Veterinary & Animal Science was started in 1954, at Bikaner, the heart of the Great Thar Desert, keeping in view the importance of livestock in the rural economy of the state in general and this area in particular. It was started as the government college and named as the Rajasthan Veterinary College. Later on, it became a part of the faculty of Medicine and Veterinary of the Rajasthan University, Jaipur. Soon, in 1962, a separate Rajasthan Agriculture University was started and the college became the part of the faculty of this university. Soon, in 1964, the University of Udaipur was established and the college along with the wing of Agriculture and allied sciences became affiliated with it. This university was renamed as Mohan Lai Sukhadia University and then Sukhadia University. The Rajasthan Agricultural University (RAU), formerly a part of the Sukhadia University, Udaipur, became a separate entity on Ist of August 1987 because of promulgation of an Ordinance (Ordinance No. 13 of 1987) by the Government of Rajasthan, which was later enacted by an Act of Rajasthan State Legislation (Act No. 39 of 1987). RAU has been renamed as Swami Keshwanand Rajasthan Agricultural University, Bikaner (SKRAU, Bikaner) vide Gazette notification No. F. 4 (2) vidhi/2/2009 dated June 09, 2009. In May 2010, it become the part of The Rajasthan University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences (RAJUVAS), Bikaner which was established under sub section (3) of section 1 of the Rajasthan University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences Act, 2010 under the Vice–Chancellorship of Prof. A.K.Gahlot.
The college possesses well equipped laboratories adequate number of class rooms, requisite number of hostels, stores, housing for poultry, emu and livestock, workshop, auditorium, NCC wing, guest house, faculty house, bank, horizontally spread departments, clinical facilities, library, computer lab, canteen and 1 GBPS internet facilities