The Department of Foreign Languages, was started in the Ranade institute building on Fergusson college road in 1949. This department offers courses in French, German, Russian, Japanese and Spanish at various levels, from elementary to post graduate courses (M.A., M.Phil, Ph.D.) Batches are conducted in the mornings as well as in the evenings at various centers in the city for the convenience of part time students. Over 1500 students are enrolled every year for the courses offered by the department.
The Certificate, Intensive Certificate, Diploma, Intensive Diploma, Advanced Diploma and the Special Diploma courses in all languages are part-time courses held at many centers and at different timings to suit the needs of students and professionals. The post graduate courses offered in French, German and Russian are full time courses. From June 2001 onwards our M.A. courses have incorporated the credit-system by means of which a student will be evaluated on the number of credits he/she has collected during the semester and not by means of an examination. This will enhance inter-disciplinary interaction and the student will have a wider choice of subjects to study from.
The Department of Foreign Languages has a splendid library with more than 3500 books and magazines, audio and video cassettes and CD’s, and is regularly updated. All the students of the Department have access to the library. A full-time librarian is engaged to manage the library. Most of the books are received through the Library Support and Donation Program of the Japan Foundation. Video shows are held at regular intervals for each of the batches.