Govt. College for Women, Guntur formerly known as "Lady Hope College" came into existence in 1944 under the management of Guntur Municipality. This college was established with the aim of providing Higher education for women in general and particularly to those living in Guntur and surrounding districts. This college brought hope and joy into the hearts of millions of ladies all over the state. Later it was taken over by the Government of the then composite Madras State in 1947 and was renamed as Government College for Women, Guntur. The college was bifurcated into Junior College and Degree College in 1996. Today The Government Degree College for Women caters to the academic needs and like skill needs of more than 1600 women students.
A well-organised Library is there in the college. There is a separate Book Bank for the SC students. There are departmental libraries maintained by the individual departments. Books are issued to the students from the general library and sometimes from the departmental libraries.
There is an Electronic Class Room fitted with TV, LCD Projector, OHP, Computer etc., the lecturers are encouraged to make use of these facilities extensively.
12 Station multi gym attached to the Department of Physical Education is always kept open for the day scholars and hostellers.
A well established students hostel is attached to College. It is located in a vast site adjacent to the Main building of the College, with in the campus. Because of the hostel, the College is able to cater to the needs of students coming from the rural areas. For the supply of pure water Aqua guards are affixed to the taps. Reading room and facilities for Indoor Games make the students feel at home.