St. Joseph's College for Women,Alappuzha, is a preeminent institution of higher education in the historic town of Alappuzha. It has rendered yeoman service in the upliftment of the backward and downtrodden masses, by prioritizing and promoting women's education and welfare in the coastal belt. Managed by the Canossian Educational Society, it is the flagship institution of Canossian Daughters of Charity, the international order of missionary nuns founded by St. Magdalene of Canossa, in Italy. Established on 1 July, 1954, the college has registered remarkable progress the past 56 years. Endorsing value based education, the college upholds the motto "virtue and knowledge" providing young women opportunities for their intellectual, moral and spiritual growth as well as career development.