Hindu College was founded more than a century ago in 1899, by Late Shri Krishan Dassji Gurwale. In the backdrop of the nationalist struggle against British rule, some prominent citizens including Shri Gurwaleji of Delhi, decided to start a college that would, while being non-elitist and non-sectarian, provide nationalist education to the youth. Originally, the College was housed in a humble building in Kinari Bazar, Chandni Chowk, and it was affiliated to Punjab University as there was no Delhi University at that time. As the college grew, it faced a major crisis in 1902 due to inadequate infrastructure. But fortunately, at this point, Rai Bahadur Sultan Singh generously donated a part of his historic property, (which originally belonged to Col. Skinner) at Kashmere Gate, to the College, thereby enabling it to function there till 1953, following which, it moved to its present location in Delhi University.
The College provides a liberal, lively and competitive environment enabling students to carve out a niche for themselves in their chosen arenas. Besides the infrastructural facilities, the strength of the College lies in its congenial and enriching atmosphere, which plays a crucial role in maintaining the excellent record the College is renowned for. Generations of students who have been groomed in this College have excelled in different walks of life, with the years spent in the College providing them a solid foundation on which they could craft their success. The College is committed to providing the leadership and direction for the times ahead in every sphere of human enterprise and endeavor.
Hostels in academic institutions are the epicenter of the dynamics of the campus life. Spread over vast area and surrounded by green cover, encompassing gardens, inside and outside lawns, Hindu College Hostel, for over a half century has been providing fuel and force to the life and motion of College’s liberal democratic academic culture.