Jute Agricultural Research Laboratory (JARL) under Central Jute Commission was established in 1938 at Dhaka. After partition of the country, Jute Agricultural Research Laboratory shifted to Chinsura in West Bengal and then at the present location of Nilganj, Barrackpore in year of 1953 as Jute Agricultural Research Institute (JARI). JARI was taken over by Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) in 1966. In January 1990, the institute has been rechristened to its present name Central Research Institute for Jute and Allied Fibres (CRIJAF). To carry out research work on allied fibres and seed, the institute established four research stations viz., Ramie Research Station at Sorbhog, Assam in 1959; Sisal Research Station at Bamra, Odisha in 1962; Sunhemp Research Station at Pratapgarh, Uttar Pradesh in 1963 and Central Seed Research Station for Jute & Allied Fibres at Budbud, West Bangal in 1956. Besides, the institute has nine (9) SAU based and six (6) ICAR institute based collaborating centres for multi-locational testing and revalidation of the technologies under All India Co-ordinated Research Projects on Jute & Allied Fibres (AICRP on JAF) now functioning as All India Network Projects on Jute and Allied Fibres (AINP on JAF). CRIJAF is the apex institute in the country to consider researches on JAF for developing production technologies to increase the productivity in a suitable manner.