The Founders of the Fergusson College had first started the New English School, Pune in 1880 and later established the Deccan Education Society (DES) in 1884.
The college held these classes, for almost ten years, in the old Gadre Wada and other locations in Poona. A plot of about 37 acres (a portion of the present extensive campus) was acquired on a 99 years' lease in 1891 by the DES. The foundation stone of the Main building of the Fergusson College, was laid in 1892 and the building was completed in 1895. The college started functioning on this campus in 1895. From then onwards, the college has grown from strength to strength and acquired a reputation as a nation-building institution.
Fergusson College is located in the heart of Pune city on an area of 65 acres that is scenic and serene. It is surrounded by several academic institutes, in its immediate vicinity. The Fergusson College road has a large density of restaurants, hotels and recreational centers, which are a great convenience to the students, faculty and parents.
The college has very good hostel accommodation for boys and girls. There are in all 6-hostel blocks, 4 blocks for gents and 2 blocks for ladies.
The College has a separate Training and Placement Cell, which takes care of all the Pre-placement and Placement activities. Guest sessions are arranged on technical as well as non-technical requirements of the industry. Sessions on Personality Development, Soft skills, Resume writing, Interview techniques and Aptitude test are also arranged for students. Also we have an industry institute interaction cell, which works in collaboration with industry and helps our students by exposing them with the whereabouts of the industry.