The Oriental Research Institute was established in Mysore by His Highness Sri. ChamarajaWodeyarBhahadur, the then Maharaja of Mysore, in the year 1891 October.At the beginning the Oriental Research Institute was started and running under the guidance of the Education Department of the Government of Mysore. Then the name of the Institute was “ The Government Oriental Library”. In
1916, the University of Mysore was established and the Institute became an integral part of the Mysore University. Later the name of the institute was changed to “The Oriental Research Institute” in 1946. Even since 1966 in which year the Kannada manuscripts and Kannada books in the institute were
transferred to the Institute of Kannada studies in the Manasagangothri Campus.
The Oriental Research Institute is fully devoted to the collection, preservation, study and publication of Sanskrit manuscripts both palm leaf, paper and also rare old Sanskrit books.
The Institute has a library contains 38,000 printed books in Sanskrit, English Kannada and other languages related to Sanskrit Studies, Catering to the needs of teachers, students and scholars. The library consisting of works on Literature, culture and allies subjects. At present, the Institute has more than 30,000 palm leaf and paper manuscripts in its Library