Govt.College of Nursing Thiruvananthapuram, the pioneer institute in Nursing had its orgin as School of Nursing attached to General Hospital, Thiruvanthapuram in the year 1943.The School of Nursing was shifted to Medical College campus in 1954.Diploma programme in Teaching and Administration of 11 months duration started at University level with an annual intake of 10 students in 1960.
In 1963, School of Nursing was upgraded to College of Nursing with the starting of Post Basic B.Sc(N) for diploma Nurses which was the first of its kind in South East Asia.In the year 1972, four year degree programme in Nursing(B.Sc Nursing)was started at University level with an annual intake of 25 students. The present college building was inaugurated on 12th April 1972 by Dr.K.Balaraman Nair, the then Director of Health Services.
In the year 1983 along with other professional course, admission to B.Sc. Nursing programme was made through common Medical and Engineering Entrance Examination of Kerala with 25 admissions, out of which 3 seats were reserved for male candidates. Annual intake of B.Sc. Nursing was enhanced to 50 with 6 boys in the year 1992. The year 1987 is remarkable in the history of Nursing Education in Kerala with the starting of Post Graduate Programme in Nursing(M.Sc Nursing) in Medical Surgical specialty with an annual intake of four students and selection based on merit.
a. National merit scholarship
b. KPCR scholarship
c. Awards by various organizations like SNA, KBNSA, TNAI, Alumni association, KGCNTA for rank holders and best outgoing students
Gold medal for the first rank holders of M.Sc. Nursing, Post basic B.Sc. Nursing, B.Sc. Nursing and GNM.