The College is under the Directorate of Technical Education, Government of Kerala and is affiliated to the State Board of Technical Examinations, Kerala State.
Established in the year 1958, the Central Polytechnic College, Thiruvananthapuram started functioning in a building in the campus of the School of Arts. At first it offered three year diploma courses in Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering. Having constructed its own building in the year 1967, the college shifted to Vattiyoorkavu in the outskirts of the city. Situated in a place of great historical signification – a place that contributed greatly to the cause of the nation during our struggle for freedom – the college has so far successfully contributed to the process of nation building. Within a short span of time the college has become one of the most sought after technical education institutions in Kerala