Thiagarajar College, founded on 7th July 1949, was formally inaugurated on 12th October 1949 by His Excellency, the King of Bhavnagar, the then Governor of Madras State. At the inaugural function, the founder, Karumuttu Thiagarajan Chettiar, described this institution as a "small and humble endeavour in education". The college, now has an impressive history covering 65 epoch-making years. From its inception, Thiagarajar College has been one of the premier institutions in Madurai. It started with only three undergraduate courses, but now has grown in stature and offers 19 UG, 13 PG and 9 M.Phil. programmes, in addition to 11 Diploma and 11 Certificate Courses. The college is a private, aided, co-educational institution affiliated to Madurai Kamaraj University. It is meticulously managed by the Kalaithanthai Karumuttu Thiagarajan Chettiar Memorial Trust
Library :The Library is one of the oldest and Traditional libraries in Madurai and houses a rare and valuable collection of books. The general library and department libraries have a total of 96742 books on various subjects. The library has a rare collection of ancient books both in Tamil and English languages. The periodical section has back-volumes of Journals in all disciplines. The library has bought 110 Periodicals.
Separate Hostels for Men and women