Jagadish Nandan College (JNC) was established at Baboobarhi in Madhubani district of Bihar in 1959. Establishment of the college in the rural hinterland was prompted by an earnest desire to open up opportunities for higher education for large number of meritorious but poor students at their doorstep. Though the college made its humble beginnings at Baboobarhi, soon it was felt by the managing committee that the college will not fulfil the objectives unless located in a more congenial surroundings. This led to the shifting of the college to the district headquarter at Madhubani in 1962. Since then the institution has not looked back and, over the years, has blossomed into a prestigious constituent unit of L.N.Mithila University, Kameshwar Nagar, Darbhanga(Bihar).
J.N. College has a rich, fully computerized library with Wi-Fi facilities. It has
more than thirty three thousand volumes of text and reference books, some of
which like Sacred Books of the East are its prized possession. It has a separate
reading room facility for boys and girls. Popular News Papers and Magazines are
always available in the library. An environment friendly 25kva Genets has also been
installed recently to ensure uninterrupted power supply in the college.