Wednesday, March 22, 2023
Education & Career
Find Us on FacebookFollow Us on TwitterFollow Us on Google Plus tellafriendYoutube
Search by Voice
Study in Canada - Admission | Education System
List of Institutions - Subject Based List | Location Based List
Locations - Alberta | British Columbia | Manitoba | New Brunswick | Newfoundland | Nova Scotia | Ontario | Prince Edward Island | Quebec | Saskatchewan

Study in Canada : Admission Procedure

There are two major steps to take if you wish to go to Canada to study at the secondary or post-secondary level. First, you must be accepted in a program of study by a recognised Canadian school board, secondary school or post-secondary institution. Second, you must apply for and be granted a student authorisation (visa if required) from Canadian immigration authorities. These two procedures take time, and you should apply a year in advance of when you wish to begin study in Canada.

Further details of student authorization can be had from Immigration Canada's web site: Toll-free number in Canada: 1 888 242-2100. Citizens of other countries require a visitor's visa, as well as the student authorization to study in Canada. A listing of those countries is available at Immigration Canada's web site. You may obtain student authorization forms in your country of origin at the Canadian Embassy, High Commission or Canadian Education Centre. If you do need a visitor's visa, apply for it at the same time as you apply for your student authorization and they will be issued together. For this, one needs a valid passport, a letter of acceptance from a Canadian institution, proof that you have enough funds to cover tuition and living costs in Canada (this can either be a letter from your parents/ financial supporters, a letter from your bank, an up-dated bank statement, or a scholarship/fellowship contract) and a medical certificate. If you are minor (less than 18 years) proof of custodianship in Canada is required. 

To study in an institution in Quebec, you will need to receive a Certificate of Acceptance of Quebec (CAQ), before seeking a student authorization from Canada. To get this, you must contact Quebec's ministry of immigration. The process varies depending on where you are applying from.

Admission Requirements vary from Institution to Institution, therefore for specific requirements students have to contact directly with the institution they are interested in. There are Canadian Education Centers (CEC) in India which can provide valuable information on English examination tests acceptable to Canadian universities.

The address of CEC in Delhi:

Jawaharlal Nehru University
Centre for Canadian Studies, New Delhi 110067
Tel: [91] (11) 667-676 or 667-557,
[91] (11) 686-5886

Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute
5, Bhai Vir Singh Marg, New Delhi 110001
Tel: [91] (11) 374-6417,
Fax: [91] (11) 374-6416,

University of Delhi
Centre for Canadian Studies, South Campus, Benito Juarez Marg, New Delhi 110021.
Tel: [91] (11) 601-955,
[91] (11) 688-6427,

Aurum International Health Care School
SCO 22 (ff), Leela Bhawan Complex, Patiala, Punjab
Tel: 0175 3090362

Once you have completed the application forms and have gathered the necessary documentation, proceed to the visa office nearest to you and submit the forms and required information along with a student authorization fee. Once the visa officer is satisfied that you are a "bona fide" student and all statutory requirements are met, you will be issued a document which must be shown to an immigration officer at the port of entry in Canada in order to obtain a student authorization. As your student authorization will normally be valid for the duration of your course, please ensure that your travel document (passport) is also valid for that same period of time.

Citizenship & Immigration Canada Regional Offices:

Immigration Office
223 Pleasantville
PO Box 13667, Station A
St. John's, NF
A1B 4G1 Canada
Tel: (709) 772-5388
Fax: (709) 772-2929 Code: 1129

Immigration Office Building
85 Fitzroy Street, PO Box 8000
Charlottetown, PE
C1A 8K1 Canada
Tel: (902) 566-7735
Fax: (902) 566-8355 Code: 1908

Immigration Office
5657 Spring Garden Road, Sixth Floor
Park Lane, Halifax, NS
B3J 3R4 Canada
Tel: (902) 426-2970
Fax: (902) 426-4241 Code: 150

Immigration Office
Frederick Square
77 Westmorland Street, Suite 380
Fredericton, NB
E3B 6Z3 Canada
Tel: (506) 452-3090
Fax: (506) 452-2405 Code: 1614

Immigration Office
365 Dorchester
Québec City, PQ
G1K 8P8 Canada
Tel: (418) 648-3196
Fax: (418) 649-6057 Code: 2507

Immigration Office Toronto Central
443 University Avenue
Toronto, ON
M5G 2H6 Canada
Tel: (416) 973-4444
Fax: (416) 973-3584 Code: 3270

Immigration Office
4th Floor, 259 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, MB
R3B 2A9 Canada
Tel: (204) 983-0069
Fax: (204) 983-3176 Code: 4133

Immigration Office
2045 Broad Street, Suite 415
Regina, SK
S4P 3T7 Canada
Tel: (306) 780-6190
Fax: (306) 780-6131 Code: 4311

Immigration Office
Liberty Building, Room 2001
0506 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, AB
T5J 2W9 Canada
Tel: (403) 495-2199
Fax: (403) 495-6739 Code: 4712

Scotia Centre, 2nd Floor
5102 50th Avenue
PO Box 1950
Yellowknife, NT
X1A 2P5 Canada
Tel: (867) 920-8411
Fax: (867) 873-3621 Code: 4934

Immigration Office
816 Government Street, Room 377
Victoria, BC
V8W 1W9 Canada
Fax:  (250) 388-3669  Code: 5219
British Columbia
Tel: (250) 356-2500(Victoria)
1 888 879 - 1166 (toll free)
Tel : (867) 667- 5141
website :